This is a true Italian styled dish that is so gooey with cheese and velvet egg plant , how could something with really just a handful of ingredients taste so good, It does I have served this with Panfried Chicken Bread with Bocconcini, ok so its a double whammy of Mozzoarella but hey you only live once.
- 1kg of Aubergines
- 1 fresh mozzarella ( might need 2 as the ones in Italy are huge )
- 1 small bunch of basil
- 100g Parmesan
- Peanut or light olive oil (you end up using a lot as the eggplant absorbs a lot )
- 1 kg tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic
- extra virgin Olive oil
- Salt to taste
Note I halve these ingredients apart from the basil and garlic as it makes masses for large Italian Families I have also used canned chopped tomatoes which work well too
- Wash the aubergines and peel and cut them into thin slices and fry them in the hot oil
- As soon as they are golden lay them today on absorbent Kitchen paper
- Make the tomato sauce , saute the garlic and lightly in the olive oil and add the fresh or canned tomatoes leave to cook and season well
- Cut the Mozzarellas into slices
- Place alternate layers of aubergines, mozzarella, basil and parmesan cheese and tomato sauce on a sheet of baking paper
- Close the paper and make a parcel
- Cook at 160 degress, for approx 40 minutes until the egg plant is tender.
- Serve in the paper and a plate with fresh basil and grated parmesan cheese .
Share this Post